Before changing your ONYEN password, make sure to turn off cell phones and other mobile devices that connect to your campus e-mail. If a mobile device tries to authenticate to the mail server with your old password, it could lock you out of your e-mail account.
- Go to https://onyen.unc.edu and click on Manage password to change your password.
- The notes displayed on the ONYEN website after changing your password are also listed at the bottom of this document.
- Within about five minutes, the following message should pop up asking you to lock your computer.
- Press the Windows key + L to lock your computer. Unlock the computer with your new password. Once you perform this step, your Windows password will be synchronized with your ONYEN password.
- You do not have to wait on this message before locking your computer, but doing so before receiving the message may not always work. If it does not work, simply wait a moment and try again.
- Log off from the Start menu or by pressing CTRL + ALT + DEL and clicking on Log Off. Log back in with your new password. This will synchronize the PGP Bootguard password with your new Windows password. You should now be able to reboot and log in with your new password, though you are not required to reboot.
- Turn handheld devices back on that synchronize with Exchange and update the password on these.