For more details on how to configure the email client please see the steps below:
- Launch Thunderbird. If you are starting Thunderbird for the first time, the setup wizard will guide you through setting up your account. If you have used Thunderbird previously to access a mail account, or if the Account Wizard does not launch automatically, select Tools > Account Settings from the menu bar.
- Within the Account Settings pane, select Add Account….
- Enter the information as you are prompted into the appropriate fields, including your name, your published e-mail address (look up at http://dir.unc.edu; for most users, it is firstname.lastname@example.org), your user name (ONYEN) and password (ONYEN password).
- The first attempt at server look up will return with incorrect information. You will need to change it as detailed below.
- Click Edit to the right of the Mail Account Setup box.
- Once the first attempt returns, change the Username to your ONYEN.
- Change the name of the incoming (IMAP) sever to: outlook.unc.edu.
- Change the name of the outgoing (SMTP) server to: smtp.unc.edu.
- Select Re-test Configuration.
- Once these settings have been verified, click Create Account.
- Click Finish to save your account.
Documentation modified from UNC-Chapel Hill Help and Support.
Filed under: Exchange