OIS recommends that users install antivirus software on their Mac computers. OIS recommends that Microsoft System Center Endpoint Protection be installed and basic user support can be provided by the help desk for issues related to proper installation and running scans. Microsoft System Center Endpoint Protection is the antivirus software available for most student computers or computers that are the personal property of University staff or faculty.
Microsoft System Center Endpoint Protection is available via the UNC Shareware site. 4.5.23 is the latest version of Microsoft System Center Endpoint Protection.
Installing System Center Endpoint Protection
- Navigate to shareware.unc.edu in your web browser.
- Scroll down to Microsoft System Center Endpoint Protection Antivirus Client for Mac. Select Mac in the Downloads section.
- Enter in your onyen user name and password when prompted.
- Once the program, System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection pops up, double click on the Install icon to start the installation process.
- A prompt should appear shortly after you launch the installer. Select Continue.
- You may also be prompted that the installer cannot be opened because the identity of the developer cannot be confirmed. Select Ok.
- In order to allow the program to run, go to the Apple icon in the upper left corner, then select System Preferences.
- Navigate to Security & Privacy, then under General, at the bottom of the window it will say installer was blocked from opening because the identity of the developer cannot be confirmed. Select Open Anyway.
- The Introduction to the System Center installer will open, read through the warning. Select Continue.
- The Read Me section will appear, Select Continue.
- Click Continue on the License Section.
- You will be prompted to agree to the terms of the software license agreement. In order for the installation to continue, select Agree.
- Select Continue in the Privacy Section.
- In the Setup Section, under Installation Mode, select Typical and then select Continue.
- In Installation Type, select Continue.
- Enter in the Administrative username and password, then select Install Software to continue the installation.
- After the software successfully installed, select Close.